Don't forget to be a little naughty
The party season is hotting up, this can only mean one thing: Christmas is coming!
If you don't want all your hard work to go to waste over the festive period, here are a few tips to swerve the bulge. Take notice of these and you'll be the one feeling smug come January when everyone else is sporting elasticated trousers.
- Avoid going to parties hungry. Eat something light beforehand to reduce your chances of snacking and where possible avoid the naughty the pre dinner canapés.
- Watch your portion sizes and don't go for second helpings - your brain and stomach register feelings of fullness after about 20 minutes so eat SLOWLY.
- Fill up with vegetables, legumes, fruit and wholefoods.
- Watch your measures. Restaurants often serve three times the standard size.
- Topping up your glass can lead to you losing count of the amount you have been drinking. Finish one glass before accepting the next.
- Alternate one alcoholic drink with one non-alcoholic drink such as water.
- Clear spirits are less sugar laden than wine or cocktails. There's a reason vodka, lime and soda is the supermodel drink of choice.
- Get out and about - a brisk walk will get your blood pumping and stop you being too sedentary.
- Try and fit this 8 minute TABATA routine into your day. Better still, get the whole family to join in. Do 20 seconds of burpees, rest for 10 seconds. Do 20 seconds of high knees, rest for 10 seconds. Repeat 8 times.